Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Intervention

I showed up for the Elder’s meeting, and the Vicar mumbled something about an “intervention,” with a rather broad smile on his face. “Huh? What are you talking about?” My Pastor then chimed in as well, with a hearty laugh.

I then got the picture. My wife had been at church earlier in the day. She and the Vicar were planning this summer’s Vacation Bible School. She had apparently “mentioned” (or some less polite word) that I had been spending “all my time” blogging the past few days, and that she was going to stage an “intervention.”

If you’re not familiar with the term, an intervention is generally the term used when a cult member is collared by family members and an expert, and isolated for a time as the cultist is “deprogrammed,” hopefully resulting in the loss of his or her undesirable attachment to the cult. In my case, my wife seems to have noticed I was spending a bit more time than usual "blogging," and wasn’t too appreciative. Of course, like any true cult member, I can explain:

First of all, I wasn’t blogging! I wasn’t! I was just getting ready to blog. And if that isn’t enough of a excuse reason, it’s for a very important event. As I’m sure you already know, next week is the one year anniversary of the cancellation of the Lutheran radio talk show Issues, Etc., when Pastor Todd Wilken and Jeff Schwarz, the host and producer of the show, got canned by the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. So I’m calling it the One Year CAnniversaryTM. I’ve been sacrificing my own personal time to provide for you, the reader, a quality product. Next week, the entire seven days will be filled with audio and visual treats, and more, all to celebrate the CAnniversaryTM, or what I view as more of a liberation than a drive-by firing.

The best part of the festivities will be the guest bloggers who have generously agreed to share their thoughts, past, present, and future, on the whole Issues, Etc. CAnniversaryTM. I’m not talking about some rag tag team of blogging wannabees here either – I mean the crème de la crème of the LCMS: radio glitterati Pastor Bill Cwirla, apologist Chris Rosebrough, and Dr. Rod Rosenbladt, journalist extraordinaire Mollie Ziegler Hemingway, and for the crème on the latte, Pastor Todd Wilken.

So I’m busy getting ready. I hope you’ll spread the word, but please don’t remind my wife. I’m in enough trouble already! And if you see a little less of me this week, well, you’ll know why! I'll either be "not blogging," or in the dog house.


No comments: