Monday, September 29, 2008

Look Who’s Been Moonlighting!



News Flash:

Most of us have read the great answers that Rev. Walter Snyder, the pastor of Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Emma, MO, has written on his Ask the Pastor blog, and appreciate all the work he’s done on his Xrysostom website. He’s been around for years answering the questions we can’t quite seem to figure out on our own.

And now, for the rest of the story.

I was commenting to one of my friends how I enjoyed listening to Pastor Borghardt on Higher Things Radio. His sometimes zany and excitable voice reminds me a bit of Dr. Demento, the comedic voice from the radio past who still airs on a few stations. (For those of you who don't remember Dr. Demento, his is a rather light-hearted comedy, not dark like the name might imply.) What I could not have known, at least until I visited the Dr. Demento website, is that Dr. Demento is actually Pastor Walt Snyder. I know. I couldn’t believe it either. He’s been moonlighting all these years.

It seems impossible. But think about it. They both excel in their respective spheres. Dr. Demento excels in delivering wacky comedy and fine music in his comedic discipline, and Rev. Snyder excels in delivering the Word of the Lord in his pastoral discipline. Plus Pastor Snyder already has another well known alias, Orycteropus Afer. So what’s one more vocation? Pastor, Xrysostom, Aardvark, and now Dr. Demento. I know what you’re thinking. Their voices don’t sound quite the same. But anybody can disguise their voice. If you’re still not buying this, here’s the irrefutable proof. You can disguise your voice, but you can’t disguise your looks. I present to you “Dr. Demento” on the left and Rev. Snyder on the right.



I told you so! They both carry an air of wisdom and sophistication don’t they? Same greying beard. Same dapper dress. Same wire-frame glasses. If you look on Fox, the big “BREAKING NEWS” should be sliding past on the bottom of your television screen right now. The next time you bump into Pastor Snyder, you’ll look at him in a whole new light. You might even ask him to autograph that worn cassette tape of The Dr. Demento Show that you pirated off the radio with your Panasonic a few decades back. And be sure to thank him for all the laughs. Who would have known?

Until next time, this is Correspondent Scott Diekmann signing off.

2 comments:

Kurt Onken said...

This has driven me crazy thinking about it.

"They're coming to take me away, ho ho, hee hee, hah hah."

PKO

P.S. You brought back a lot of memories. In Jr. Hi and High School, I spent many a Sunday night staying up late listening to Pr. Snyder, er, I mean, Dr. Demento.

RPW said...

So my family has him to blame for all the rousing choruses of "Dead Puppies Aren't Much Fun" that I treat them to?