Monday, November 12, 2012

My Testimony

I was “down on my luck,” to put it in the vernacular. Conceived with no hope in the world.

One July morning I rolled out of bed, ate breakfast, got dressed, and went down to the local church. There, a bald-headed man with a white robe and a green scarf hanging from his neck poured cold water on my head three times, saying, “Scott Lynn, I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.” At that moment, my life changed. I would never be the same.

The man, it turns out, was my Lutheran pastor. But it wasn’t really just Pastor Koenig, it was Jesus Himself pouring His Holy Spirit into me, saving me, even though I didn’t do anything to deserve this wonderful thing that had just happened. You see, it seemed just like any other bath, but my parents, along with Pastor Koenig and other people, taught me what else happened. They taught me what Jesus promised me that day in my Baptism. And even though I was just a baby and couldn’t understand it all, I still trusted His promises – the Holy Spirit put that trust in my heart. They call that faith.

Jesus’ Word, working through that cold water, washed away my sin. And He put His name on me! This washing with water buried me with Him in His death, and, just as He was raised, raises me to new life in Him. He promises me that even though I will die, on the last day He will raise me up and I will live with Him forever. So now, every day when I roll out of bed, I remember the promises Jesus made to me that sunny July day. My sins are forgiven, and I am saved, because I am a Baptized child of God.

Quite an awesome thing, this Baptism.

And that’s my testimony.





photo credit: missbeckyfay

6 comments:

Dennis Peskey said...

You need a "like" button on your blog posts (love the older baptismal certificates - I was given one similar to yours albeit somewhat older)!

Kari said...

Hi Scott! My "testimony" is very similar to yours! It was a July Sunday, the 27th, 1958, that my life as a Baptized child of God started. My re-birth! I was 3 1/2 weeks old. Thanks for your blog posts.

Scott Diekmann said...

Thanks Dennis, and you're welcome Kari.

Lee Turpen said...

Would this happen to be your baptismal birthday?

Lee Turpen said...

Oh, I see it on the certificate now... I do not have a clue the date of mine (certificate lost many years ago before by parents). Was just wondering if that triggered your thought to write on the subject.

Scott Diekmann said...

Lee, if you know the church you were baptized in, they should be able to tell you the date.