Thursday, July 16, 2009

Take Hold of the Promise

Quoting Dr. Martin Luther from his lectures on Galatians:

Therefore the afflicted conscience has no remedy against despair and eternal death except to take hold of the promise of grace offered in Christ, that is, this righteousness of faith, this passive or Christian righteousness, which says with confidence: “I do not seek active righteousness. I ought to have and perform it; but I declare that even if I did have it and perform it, I cannot trust in it or stand up before the judgment of God on the basis of it. Thus I put myself beyond all active righteousness, all righteousness of my own or of the divine Law, and I embrace only that passive righteousness which is the righteousness of grace, mercy, and the forgiveness of sins.” In other words, this is the righteousness of Christ and of the Holy Spirit, which we do not perform but receive, which we do not have but accept, when God the Father grants it to us through Jesus Christ.
Martin Luther, Luther's Works, ed. Jaroslav Pelikan and Helmut Lehmann. vol. 26, Lectures on Galatians, CD-ROM (Saint Louis: CPH, 1999).

2 comments:

Michael Paul 白霈德牧師 said...

great quote...should it from be vol 26 rather than 16?

Scott Diekmann said...

Oops. You're right. It's Volume 26. Thanks for the correction.