Thursday, July 9, 2009

Being Blindfolded

Quoting Dr. Martin Luther:

We have the same experience a man has whose head is dizzy. When he is to climb a high tower or to pass over a bridge under which deep water is flowing, one must simply blind him, must hang a coat over his head and lead and carry him blindfolded; otherwise he falls from the tower and breaks his neck or falls into the water and drowns. Just so we, too, must follow our Guide if we would be saved. Then we are safe. We, too, must simply close our eyes, follow the leader, the divine Word, and say: I will let myself by wrapped in swaddling clothes, will let a coat be put about my head, and will let myself be led to that which I believe and do not see; and thus will I live and die.
Ewald M. Plass, compiler, What Luther Says: A Practical In-Home Anthology for the Active Christian, (St. Louis: CPH, 1959) §640, 216.


photo credit: practicalowl

No comments: