Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Stand Up

If you’re a blogger who wants to contend for the faith, put your name and your email address on your blog. Even if you’re going by a pseudonym, an email address is helpful. There've been times when I wanted to contact someone after reading their blog, but no email address was furnished.

I might have been able to add a comment, but oftentimes that’s not all that viable an alternative. People don’t necessarily want to carry on a one-sided conversation that the whole world can see.

You might be worried about spam. I’ve got my email address on both my blogs and on my website. I don’t get that much spam. It’s worth a little inconvenience for the sake of the Gospel. On the apologetics website that I own, soundwitness.org, I’ve taken the radical step of having my home phone number on the “Contacts” page. Yes, I occasionally get a crank phone call because of it, usually from an unhappy Jehovah’s Witness. More often it’s from a sincere person looking for help. There’s even an occasional "thank you" email.

So stand up and be heard. Make yourself available. You’ve got the shield of faith in one hand and the sword of the Spirit in the other. You need fear no spam.

3 comments:

Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

I've also found the need to email bloggers who don't make SOME sort of email address available.

You can't attach anything in comments. :)

Anonymous said...

I have my email address in my Blogger profile and have had no issues with spam.

I agree. Stand up.

Frank Gillespie said...

Since I started my blog to poke fun at synodical movements, I decided to be up front about who I was from the start. I didn’t list my last name because I was worried that my critique would affect my congregation negatively. That being said, I made it really easy to find out what it was with minimal effort.

I would have never listed my phone number on POTF but if anybody received an email from me it was almost always included. I think I even gave you my number….heh