Friday, March 9, 2012

The Evidence and the Proof

All bundled up and ready for my run along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail in Anchorage. It’s 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside, and I'm appropriately dressed in cap, Brooks Adrenalines, tights, a long sleeved shirt, running jacket and gloves.

Just minutes before I was on the phone with our daughter, telling her I was headed for a run along the Coastal Trail. As I hung up I jokingly commented that I hoped I wouldn’t fall into the water or get attacked by a moose. Paige sounded a bit alarmed. Well, you can’t really fall into the water on this trail, especially since it’s all frozen along the shore at this time of year, although a moose encounter is a definite possibility. Here’s the photographic report of my beautiful snowy run from Elderberry Park to Earthquake Park and back.

The evidence

The proof

Looking across the Knik Arm of Cook Inlet to Mt. Susitna

Downtown Anchorage

Westchester Lagoon

Two big engines on the Alaska Railroad

The Coastal Trail.  Note the giant blocks of ice along the water's edge.

Bring your own ice scraper

Looking east to the Chugach Range

6 comments:

Paige said...

I love the photos, Dad! I DID have good reason to be concerned! :)

Scott Diekmann said...

Next time I'll bring some moose spray Paige!

Judy said...

You still love trains. really wonderful photos, including the moose

Scott Diekmann said...

Planes, trains, and maybe not so much automobiles, unlike Dad! Thanks.

Matt said...

I'm envious! Great photography.

Our Most Creative God got a bit carried away when He created Alaska, don't you think? A creature like a moose must be the product of a creator with a rich sense of humor.

Scott Diekmann said...

Thanks Matt. I guess the moose serves as an exemplar that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.