Saturday, January 16, 2010

Help for Haiti

The earthquake in Haiti certainly brings to the fore the question of “Why?” Why does God allow these sorts of things to happen? I don’t know the specific answer to why a devastating earthquake rocked Haiti, but I know the general answer – it’s a part of God’s plan. The God who created the universe did not afterwards turn His back on His creation and walk away, but continues to sustain it through His mighty Word. Through disaster God calls people to repentance and draws them closer to Him. I know that “for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28).

How can you help the people of Haiti? Certainly the most expedient thing you can do is pray. After that, since we can’t all get down there physically, you can contribute to relief efforts for Haiti through LCMS World Relief and Human Care by making a donation here. Material donations may be made by clicking here.

For the latest reports on LCMS efforts in Haiti, click here. Pastor Matt Harrison’s latest video can be found here, and Dr. Al Collver’s blog post, which offers a behind-the-scenes look at LCMS World Relief and Human Care endeavors, can be found here.

“Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. If I say, ‘Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,’ even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.” Psalms 139:7-12 ESV

No comments: